In fall, there are many illumination events throughout Kyoto. This weekend, on October 25th and 26th, there is an illumination event called Okazaki Tokiakari in Okazaki area (18:00 – 21:00).
This year, at Okazaki Tokiakari, there are several different spots to visit.
1. Projection Mapping at three different venues. a) Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art b) Kyoto Prefectural Library and c) Kyoto City International Foundation. For people who have never seen a projection mapping, check the following video (it is a projection mapping held at Chionin Temple last year).
2. Some programs will be provided at Kyoto City International Foundation. Visitors will be able to join them. Also a fountain on the Lake Biwa Canal will be lit up.
3. There will be special night openings and events at some venues in the Okazaki area; Kyoto Zoo, Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art, The National Museum of Modern Art Kyoto, Kyoto City International Foundation, Lake Biwa Museum, Kyoto Kanze Noh Play Theater and so on.
4. Food/Rest corners at Okazaki Park. Some restaurants in the area will also extend their open hours for this event.
5. Tokiakari will provide participation programs for visitors, for example, hand-made candles prepared by local people will be displayed.
6. Collaboration programs. There will be some interesting collaboration works in the Okazaki area this weekend. The local junior high school students made some art objects taking advantage of the light for this event. And a Kimono fashion show will be held in front of Heian Jingu’s big torii gate.
Okazaki Tokiakari will be on even if it rains (but if the weather gets too ugly, it will be canceled).
To pay a visit to this event, take the subway Tozai Line and get off at Higashiyama station. Then walk to Heian Jingu.